Life with painful knees can be quite difficult when it hinders us from doing day-to-day activities. Knee pain can occur either through wear and tear, workouts or sports or any physical activities or even due to old age. Adolescent knee pain can also make life difficult for people, if left untreated. Life with painful knees can be quite difficult when it hinders us from doing day-to-day activities. Knee pain can occur either through wear and tear, workouts or sports or any physical activities or even due to old age. Adolescent knee pain can also make life difficult for people, if left untreated.
Few of the important types of knee pain include:
● Anterior knee pain: Anterior knee pain or pain in the front part of our knee occurs due to many reasons such as tight muscles, muscle imbalances, over workout to point out a few
● Posterior knee pain: This refers to the pain located behind the knee cap. It can happen due to arthritis, cartilage problems, hamstring injury and so on
Adolescent Anterior Knee Pain
Teenagers who are physically active participating in sports may sometimes experience pain in the front part of the knee, usually under the kneecap. This condition can be referred to as Adolescent knee pain. This condition is mainly seen among healthy adolescents, especially girls. Medication, taking rest and strengthening exercises can help in recovery process.
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
This condition is caused due to pain in the front knee, especially around the kneecap or patella. It is also called ‘jumper’s knee’ or ‘runner’s knee’ as the syndrome is found mainly among teenage girl athletes. Non- athletes who are teenagers are also diagnosed with the condition.
● Over Exercising or immediate change in the type of training
● Tight hamstring muscles and quadriceps
● Alignment problem between the hips and the ankles
● Using improper sports training equipments or adapting improper training methods
● Changes in footwear or the surface where we play Symptoms
● Dull pain which gradually increases
●Pain felt during night
● Pain during daily repeated activities which involves bending of the knee
● Pain when there is a sudden change in activity
● Cracking sounds when we climb or get up immediately after sitting for a long time
Diagnosis And Treatment
Knee pain can be diagnosed through a physical examination followed by x-rays or MRI scans for confirmation. MRI scan is recommended only if, even after the treatment process begins, the symptoms persist.
Treating anterior knee pain is by making simple changes. It is by stopping the activities done, which causes the pain. If training or exercise sessions are a part of daily routine, it would be advised to do low- impact exercises which don’t apply strain on the knees. Physiotherapy is another method adopted to treat the pain. Certain exercises which can improve strength and flexibility would be suggested by the doctor or by a trained physiotherapist. Practicing it can ease the problem.